Blandford Cemetery

07 JUNE 2013

Erected Monument - Front Side

Erected Monument – Front Side

As part of the Bicentennial of the War of 1812, a new monument has been dedicated memorializing the 94 veterans of that war buried in old Blandford Cemetery in Petersburg, Virginia.

On Saturday, June 7, 2014, the Virginia Society of the War of 1812 and the Virginia U.S. Daughters – 1812 unveiled the monument outside of the cemetery’s visitors’ center. The names of all of the veterans are inscribed on the front and back of the monument which was commissioned by the Virginia Society. The costs were funded by the Virginia Society, the Virginia Daughters and a grant from the National Society through its “Grant Program”. Mayor Brian Moore welcomed those who attended to the City and spoke highly of the these veterans’ service to their state and nation. The Virginia Society’s Peter E. Broadbent, Esq. brought greetings from the Commonwealth’s Bicentennial Commission.

Another member of the Bicentennial Commission, Mrs. Nancy Gailey Heuser, provided stirring remarks about the exploits of the famous “Petersburg Volunteers.” The Volunteers became known as the Heroes of Fort Meigs and were authorized to wear a leather “cockade” on their hats. From them Petersburg became known as “The Cockade City of the Union.” Mrs. Heuser’s third great-grandfather, Rubin Clements, was the last surviving Volunteer.

Mrs. Jacque-Lynne Schulman, as president of the Virginia Society of U.S. Daughters of 1812 and Captain John N. Dickie, past president of the Society of the War of 1812, unveiled the monument before 75 onlookers. The color guard in 1812 uniforms stood watch as other lineage societies brought greetings and laid wreathes at the monument. “Taps” was played as part of the memorializing of the veterans.

The color guard consisted of LTC (ret.) Mike Lyman, commander; Dennis Fritts, president of the Virginia Society of the War of 1812; LTC (ret.) Thad Hartman, past president; and Charles Bellfield. Photos were taken by Douglas Graves.